Tuesday, June 12, 2018

I need a kick in the *SS!

I have failed.

This was the year that was supposed to be different.  The momentum I brought into 2018 in terms of writing was going to continue.  Regardless of results, I was going to continue to produce content, with a commitment to write at least something every day.  And my serial neglect of my blog would end as well.

Yeah, so that didn't work.

I don't completely understand it, either.  It worked for quite some time after I learned of the stories that were being published.  I thought I had finally established a pattern, a routine - something that would carry me when motivation was hard to find.

I fell off the wagon in April, as seems to happen every year.  But I knew it was happening.  And I swore to myself it wouldn't completely derail me.

I never have an abundance of time to write.  But I have enough - small chunks of time here and there.  Yet I squander it.  I've allowed life to get in the way.  And I've made excuses.  There was the chaos of preparing for a new baseball season.  And the trip to Albany for my son's Youth of the Year candidacy with the Boys & Girls Club.  But even surrounding all of that busy-ness, I had time to write.  I chose to procrastinate instead.

I'm currently building flower gardens around my house.  Hard physical work.  But again, I have time for writing after I've finished for the day.  I have contests that I intend to enter with deadlines rapidly approaching, and a call for a submission from a niche press that published a story of mine this winter.  But do I pick up my notebook and relax with a few pages of prose, and some progress toward the deadlines?

Nope.  I pick up the PlayStation controller, or grab the remote to flip on a few old episodes of Gilmore Girls.  (Don't judge - the show is freaking hilarious.)

I have written this post as a call to action.  I've laid out my failings "on paper", and I'm publishing them into the world (or at least, the tiny fraction of the world that sees this blog). 

I can't hide from it anymore - so if you hear the Gilmore Girls theme song around me, ask me if I've written anything yet today.  And then take away the remote until I do.   :)



No comments:

Post a Comment